Sunday, October 11, 2020

Was Pythagoras Chinese?

I think it makes a difference to our learning if we acknowledge the contributions of non-European sources of Mathematics. We may have to learn a totally new system of mathematics (like the sexagesimal system of Babylon) if we have to learn math in their context. It may be a good or bad thing. The good thing is that we teach students that mathematics is not Eurocentric and western. The world's oldest civilizations were responsible for developing a lot of the Math concepts and theorems of today. This is also a good chance for students to learn and appreciate other cultures. The bad thing is that the material is so rich that we may not even get to finish all the topics in time. Therefore, having history of mathematics as a separate course in the curriculum (which is what BC is doing) is more appropriate. This can be a more fun and interactive way of doing Math especially for students who see Math as something very boring.

I think in China, the Pythagorean Theorem is still called the gougu theorem. I also think that the naming of the theorems have to do with how modern textbooks were written. This has to go back to the the 18th or the 19th century when education was opened to public. During those times, countries like Egypt and India were colonies of the British empire. The Qing Dynasty of China was in a dire state due to conflicts like the Taiping Rebellion and the Sino-Japanese War. The country was also 'bullied' by the western powers. Therefore, a lot of the textbooks were written from the perspective of the Europeans and almost no acknowledgement was made to any of the oldest civilizations.  And the Europeans were the first ones to have a proper education system for the public so we can see a lot of mathematicians and scientists are white. But I think if we are learning a math theorem and its history, it is better to give credit to the creator even if the theorem itself is not named after him/her. When we are learning these mathematical concepts and theorems, we should learn the real history behind them. 

1 comment:

  1. A well-written and historically thoughtful commentary! You take a very gracious and informed stance.

    ReplyDelete

What I have learnt from the course

I enjoy reading history and I have to say this is one of the courses that I enjoyed the most in this semester. To some people history and ma...